Tuesday 24 March 2020

10 Current beauty Faves... in the time of covid-19

I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe in these earth-shattering times. Panic and fear, suspicion and condemnation are the order of the day. I've been horrified at the selfishness: can anyone find me a punnet of eggs?! As the weather warms up and it looks outwardly like the onset of an uplifting Spring, the reality is that we don't know what dark dread awaits... Those in power seem to know little more than we do, with mixed messages and a lack of conviction. This is the time when we were looking forward to our holidays (all cancelled now) but we here find ourselves humbled by nature. This disease has united most of the world with its horror. Our social media is for many now the only comfort, and with that, there is some beauty. For like all traumas, good can be gleaned too. This is not an 'Other's" problem, it is us all. And although a vapid interest in beauty and display might have been stymied, it has yet some relevance. For many with hectic lives, this forced enclosure and pause may even bring much-needed rest; for the planet and its pollution too. Beauty and self-care as ever has a therapeutic and life affirming power. So that being said the rest of this post will be frivolous ;)

I have been trying to keep up with my exercise regime - not the same as a gym but not impossible (find me on instagram @ooglemakeup)and I have let my hair rest from its punishing blow dries. My hope is I will emerge from this with long, healthy hair... a distant memory. Beauty-wise this is a perfect time to use products and feel better. These are my favourites and I may return to Youtube to showcase them properly.



1. Feelunique recently brought out (now sold-out) beauty bag, and I bought it on a whim. Within the bag was a miraculous tincture, Antipodes Blessing

Usually my skin hates oil. But this indeed somehow is a 'light' oil. It smells divine, it's white jasmine, but to me it seems like bubblegum but in a natural way (it reminds me of candy floss grapes if anyone has tried that variety). And somehow, perhaps the marshmallow extract, it makes my skin very pale and even-toned, almost on impact. I also love mixing it in with my Estee Lauder doublewear. Doublewear has been my faithful unwavering stand-by for a very long time; I wouldn't hear a bad word against it. And yet now my skin is changing (gasp of horror)and I find myself finally understanding the "paint" criticism. Nonetheless, a drop of this and it's perfect once again.




 2. Another New Zealand skincare brand! They must know a few tricks. This time the brand revolves around bees. Bees Brilliance Instant Hydra Firming Shot. Again, the smell is delicious. This smell is a very ancient atavistic scent. It recalls an ancient High Temple Priestess to me... it is a sweet milk and honey and perhaps cooking apples. It's a very rich smell but smells natural, not chemical. It's very moisturising but hasn't broken me out as it's not heavy. I like to mix it with my retin A gel at night. I found this again on a whim, at TK Maxx, but it is available at Holland and Barrett and isn't too expensive. I think it may be the Squalene in it that makes it so good, but it also has similar antioxidants to the Blessing serum.
I also bought the Bees Brilliance Beauty Elixir Mist and it is everything I wished MAC's Fix+ was! It doesn't have the horrible (for me) Castor oil in it and instead has only a plethora of antioxidants and a soft light honey scent. It has a great fine mist too.
3. Nourish Nutritious Peptide Serum. A serum made in UK. I tried their moisturiser but it broke me out. This, however, is oil free and helps my dehydrated skin. It reminds me of the Caudelie Vinosource serum, which I love but I go through it way too quickly. This seems to last longer but has the same very light and quenching consistency. It uses apple acid exfoliating so it reminds me of Juice Beauty Apple peel which is another marvellous product.
4. Botanical Lab has quite a few really good products! Their tumeric mask and their hydrating mask are so good. In fact the hydrating mask reminds me of Clinique's moisture quench line. It isn't oil free but it isn't heavy, and it imparts a wonderful glow to my skin. But the true wonder is their Clay & Sulfur Drying Lotion. Spot? What spot? I sometimes apply this and then I go back to look at my face and I wonder, did I imagine that it was a spot! That is how potent this is. I think the best I have ever tried is Origins spot remover, but this is almost or perhaps even equally as good.
5. A dupe a dupe! I had been using Indeed Labs Vitamin C24 but I recently decided to test out Inkey list Vitamin C serum. Both are in a silicone base, which isn't my preference and I do feel it clogs my skin a bit. But the results are undeniable, and it does make for a decent primer too. So I'm now on to this £7.99 one which seems identical. This one has 30% vitamin C rather than 22%. But it has fewer ingredients so time will tell if it lacks the punch I've seen with Indeed labs. I've tried the Inkey List Q10 serum and loved it but the inkey little bottle only lasted a few uses before it was empty. So that one was a false economy. However I'd be keen to investigate the rest of the range. The Ordinary has had a few misses for me; this brand seems more along my path.
6. Paula's Choice Advanced Replenishing Toner. I hoarded a few bottles of this when I heard it was being reformulated. Well, she insisted it would be the same. But we know that new packaging, let alone those ominous words 'new and improved' mean the death-knell for our beloved product. However on close inspection it seems only the further down ingredients have changed. The consistency is the same (milky and enriching, almost like a moisturiser) but there is an unpleasant smell now whereas before it was odourless. I always think this step can be replaced, it seems such a simple and dupeable toner. And yet after years of using it I haven't found anything - and when I do go without it, my skin isn't the same. For now, this still seems the same A+ toner. The famously lauded BHA exfoliant is also well deserving of its praise, but I think Corsx glycolic exfoliant is almost the same, so for me I'm not entirely convinced her exfoliants are all that unique. This though, seems irreplaceable...
7. Makeup at last! The fun stuff. Highlighters - is there anything better? For me the best highlighters are those with glycerine and squalene. The so-called 'gel hybrids'. In fact I'm convinced these are quasi skincare because they can actually seem to moisturise the skin? But maybe I'm getting carried away. But the love for a gleaming glowing complexion is not going away any time soon. My latest acquisition is courtesy of TK Maxx again! £29.99 (still in stock) This was a product I hesitated about, and then it was gone. Estee Lauder Modern Mercury, as brought back by Victoria Beckham. The leathery case is very nice, but it's the product inside which is the best. A rosy tan but very easy to wear sheer so it would work for all skin tones.
I used to love a matte velvety skin, but those days are gone and now my skin is getting drier I use highlighters lightly all over, and then more heavily on the high points. MAC has some brilliant ones but Guerlain and Estee Lauder have my heart. Guerlain were as far as I know, the very first (mainstream at least) brand to present this miraculous formula. I still cherish my Cruel Gardenia. Meteorites balls, although not the same formula, have an uncanny ability to draw a veil over the skin. They last forever, are addictively collectible, and any time I catch sight of my reflection when wearing these, I congratulate myself on how well my skincare regime must be doing. Sadly it washes off, but when it's on it lasts all day and it convincingly mimics a bloom of health. I'm still bitter I missed out on the carousel balls, so when I saw this pinkish version I leapt to it.
For its imprinting, I'm also going to include Burberry's highlighter in 01 even though it's only 5g of product. It makes skin look angelic. It reminds me of the Guerlain christmas Globe balls they brought out, the one with the star shaped balls. If you didn't get it you missed out - but here is a very good (if I'm honest, even better) version:
8. Lipstick Queen. My new favourite lipstick brand, on a par with Guerlain Rouge G in my opinion. The founder is an interesting character and I like how she draws inspiration from various themes. Not all of the lipsticks are equally as good, but I have a few that are delectable. They feel like a lip balm and leave a very nice stain behind which is very youthful; they also seem to make lips look plumper just like Rouge G does. My pick would be Eden because I think the case just elevates it. But I also like Natural Sinner (not truly natural in the expected sense, as it's very pigmented, but it is a gorgeous shade). The surprise hit is Black Lace Rabbit, which has allowed me to wear lipsticks which had been relegated to the dismissed pile. Suddenly vapid shades become vampy shades, too-pale nudes become raspberry mauveish nudes. And it's very moisturising so it even helps to make drying lipsticks wearable.
9. Morphe x James Charles mini eye brush set. I lucked out when I found this in Boots Tottenham Court Road for £15! I'm not subscribed to James Charles and don't know much about him. My expectations were low. I reasoned, at least the brush tubby will be useful. Granted, the quality isn't quite 'premium', but it's not like an 'own brand' brush range, either. It's in fact way better than I expected - and seeing how they were gathered makes me respect James Charles, because I can tell he is a discerning artist. In truth, the nose brush is worth it alone! I'm not sure I'd spend £59, but I hear it's often on offer and can sometimes be found for £30 on the Morphe site, and for that it's a very recommended buy. It's a really fun present. Even for £59 it would be a great gift I just personally don't think I'd spend that on Morphe brushes as I'd choose to go the premium brushes route if I was spending over £30. My favourites are the nose brush, the tapered mini blending brush, the detail liner brush, and the flat concealer brush.
10. Thebalm. I've found a few very good items from this range... I'm not sure how I feel about their designs, some can be a little cringe worthy. But I've been enjoying Schwing liner (I did say...) and sometimes if I want an even finer line, I'll apply it using the Morphe detail liner brush.
I also really love the Give Crease a Chance (cringe again) brush. I only like the flat side, it reminds me of my very first ever brush purchase which was the now extinct Prescriptives flat eyeshadow brush. It's a very firm yet fluffy brush, and until this thebalm one, I'd never found anything to compare. The blender side isn't good, but that makes it less worrisome to stick it crushed into my brush holder rather than the burden of having to store it horizontally.
So those are my top ten keeping me upbeat. I would love to hear your faves and any survival tips for these testing times.

By all accounts, this disease was created as a direct result of animal cruelty. I hope it brings awareness to the plight of endangered species, and pressure on those who keep animals in horrifying conditions.

Keep home and stay healthy, we will beat this. Wishing you and your families a healthy mind body and spirit,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels