Tuesday 24 March 2009

Professional make up artistry for the masses


If I may say so, I have always been very precocious when it comes to makeup and skincare (I'm sure most of us here can say that!) and I'm obviously convinced I could equally be a world-renowned makeup artist or a dermatologist (haha yes, again, don't we all) but, I was recently wondering whether us beauty junkies are all that elite after all...?


Whilst at university, all those aeons ago, before ebay, I remember scouring the net for a microdermabrasion tool. I found one on an American website, very expensive - plus I was stung by a horrific customs duty on top, plus it was an absolutely useless device, with a rubbishy foam sponge - but the point is - now that same exact device is available at my local drugstores, and microdermabrasion and skin resurfacing are words everyone is familiar with due to the adverts we are now subjected to.


Granted, combining science with cosmetics is nothing new. But nowadays, as a consumer we don't want to be patronised, we want to have the active ingredients that dermatologists and dentists have, and the finesse that profesional makeup artists have. Current adverts will attest to that.

Although it is only a matter of time before an actual makeup makeover programme hits (UK at least), we have a plethora of makeover shows which always feature a segment on makeup and hair improvement. TRESemmé has become a massive success to its tagline "Professional, Affordable"; MaxFactor has capitalised on its longevity by proclaiming "The Makeup of Makeup artists!" and hiring the celebrity mkeup artist du jour, Pat McGrath to devise face charts for their campaigns:
So, I wonder... how long before traincases, palettes and proper brushes become the norm? Isn't it about time a TRESemmé type initiative hits the makeup world? I suppose E.L.F comes closest to this idea, perhaps Coastal Scents too - but really, there still seems a void. The metal palettes should no way cost as much as they do, ditto the brushes (just compare the price of paintbrushes to realise the mark-up!)


Cosmetics traditionally weather financial storms, however WWD reported that even beauty sales dropped by 3% in 2008 compared to 2007. Perhaps the feeling that 'plus ca change...' is all too true when it comes to the cosmetics available at your local shopping centre. I think the time is ripe for a makeup artist canon for the masses!

Traincases, palettes, refillable tubs, spatulas, petri dish... too much for the masses, or is it time for the makeup revolution?



What would you like to see change in the makeup world? What do you want in your shopping experiences ... Do you feel satisfied with current collections or would you want more 'innovation' too??

6 comments:

  1. I would like to see less gimmicky foundations and more real, blendable cream foundations to be available. (I like Max Factor's Pan Stik, but the color selection and availability has been reduced in recent years.) I'd love to be able to buy a pan of foundation with two or more colors in it, that I can mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, the only time I ever came across that is in Eve Pearl's foundations which come in 2 shades (never tried) and various as you say gimmicky simaltaneous mixture oozing bottles which are useless, similarly Prescriptives overpriced and underperforming mixing 'services'. We do need that 'Pro' fdtn approach for ourselves! Good point!


    PS. I think Max Factor did used to be quite good, I have an ancient brush by them that isn't half bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the recent youtube videos on Sigma brushes that are "mac comparable" according to Enkore. TiffanyD gave a more glowing review. The prices are really decent for what appears to be MAC quality.

    My shopping experience is limited due to my location (not to say that I would want another shopping mall to go up...we have so many choices as it stands now in the world). When I make that trek to makeup mecca, I want a more knowledgable mua who doesn't believe in hard sales. My MAC counter is pretty lousy in even trying to sell or taking the time to just talk about the products. Their main purpose, it seems, is just to fetch and ring up the items. The more higher-end counters, however, do take more individual time, which I really appreciate.

    As far as innovation, I think drugstore beauty and cosmetics brands are stepping up but along with that is stepping up the price. You see this occuring with L'oreal HIP. The good side is the mass accessiblity and BOGO free sales. It's just as good a MAC or other mid-level priced brands. However, most ds brands don't have products for swatching but the return policies are more lenient than the UK. I'm awaiting the day when a drugstore brand breaks out with palettes with refillables. We don't have that here yet...I would like to see more organization choices for the everday makeup addict who is not an artist. I want containers that are not plastic or acrylic but preferably a renewable resource like bamboo, recyclable metals, etc.

    Sorry for the long post. Great post as always! Enjoyed responding to it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh excellent points, thanks for that!!

    I did see the Sigma reviews, they look wonderful! I am very tempted, even shipping was fairly reasonable so I am considering them for sure.

    I especially like your idea for renewable packaging in fact, its true - that is important too. As for drugstores not having testers, I never understood that: in UK we have drugstore testers galore, that is really weird.

    Sadly most SAs are just that, I guess if we were around makeup all day long we might get jaded too... maybe!? And I know managers are really strict about the whole number crunching side of things, so it is rather inevitable that a lot go for the hard sell. But it's more likely to put you off, ironically. I like it best when they leave you alone actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post. Thank you :) You are beautiful and brainy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW How sweet of you to say that!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Labels