Monday 5 July 2010

Fun v Boring

Here are the long awaited promo images for Burberry makeup, as shot by celebrated photographer Mario Testino.






I do own a Burberry trench (inherited from my grandmother in fact) and love wearing it, but would never wear a Burberry cap or scarf, as it's, well, how do I say "chavvy" delicately...? And the packaging has now disappointed me. At first I expected luxury trench coat, but the check overload and engraved lipstick just seems more like Burberry cap than Burberry trench. And the makeup looks themselves - are just so uninspiring. It also looks as if, even with the androdgynous model, it's aimed at a specific type of woman... white, blue-eyed and reticent.

On the other hand, the opposite extreme, does a grown woman want to pull out this compact from her handbag?



MAC's Disney Venemous Villains Collection features four Disney characters: Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmatians), Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty), The Queen (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs), and Dr. Facilier aka Shadow Man (Princess and the Frog), and the range will consist of lipstick, powder, lip gloss and blush shades ranging in price from $12 to $29.50.

U.S. – 30 September 2010
International - October 2010

“Come on — aren’t the nastier ones more fun?”, “It’s great to be sweet and kind, of course, but everybody wants to take a bite of forbidden fruit from time to time.” says James Gager, creative director for MAC Cosmetics

“In beauty, women look for fantasy and transformation,” , “When you go to a makeup counter, you want to express an attitude — what we’re finding is the Disney characters are great mediums to tell those stories. I think it’s a little unexpected when people see Disney playing in adult beauty, but as adults, we relate to the classic stories on new levels.” said Johanna Mooney, beauty director for Disney Consumer Products.

**All pics and info sourced from the ever reliable WWD.

I hate to admit it, but MAC's fun, albeit childish, packaging and attitude has won me over. I am trying to convince myself it's "artistic" packaging, not immature at all... //EDIT// Now going off it...I'm not sure if it's a sticker or printed, some hunting online has found this as yet unconfirmed preview:


In any case, judging from Temptalia's post round up, it looks like MAC have faith in numbers. It's a huge collection, and promises variety.

OH and PS. For everyone wondering why the hell MAC chose these characters and not others, etc etc, I used to work in character licensing a million years ago, and it's all got to be bid for and essentially Disney are the ones who dictate these things. They have characters to plug I guess...

Which type do you fall into? Burberry safe or MAC Villain bold?


4 comments:

  1. To be honest, Burberry have never been an overly exciting brand. They do have beautiful watches/ jewellery every now and again, though.

    I haven't been so excited about a MAC collection since the Dame Edna collaboration, I think that says it all about me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not usually safe but I would take the Burberry over the Mac any day. Those Mac compacts look hideous to me.. sorry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Beauty's Bad Habit - I know, Burberry couldn't really get away with a blue lipgloss could they? haha true xx

    @Georgia - I think you might be right :(
    I was excited by the black compacts but the plasticy clear ones are even more tacky, there's no way I can forgive them as being artistic... Sad... I guess that means I hate both packaging then!? xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ordinarily, I would go for the Burberry - you know how boring I am in all things stylistic. However, I'm quite taken with the Disney devils, so long as they are not horrible kiddy stickers. Amusing article, thanks Gail. Love Tima x

    ReplyDelete

Labels